Cave Falls’ name comes from a large cave that can be found just off to the side of the falls. Hikers can no longer walk into the cave because it is blocked from a rock avalanche. The falls are not very high, only 20 feet, but are 250 feet wide. There are several other short trails that lead to a variety of views of the falls. Cave Falls is about two miles past the Cave Falls campground and it is accessible by vehicle. There are two parking areas. From the upper parking area you can view Cave Falls from above and several trails lead into the park. The lower parking area is a small loop where you can park and take a short trail down to the falls.
Tips for Visiting:
- Cave Falls is in the southwestern corner of Yellowstone National Park, a section known as Cascade Corner
- The cave is closed
- Yellowstone National Park entrance fee is required at the park entrance
- Dogs are not allowed on trails in Yellowstone National Park.
- Widest waterfalls in Yellowstone National Park
- Gravel Road
- Remote part of Yellowstone
Directions From Rexburg:
- Head north out of town past Walmart
- Turn right to get onto US-20 towards Saint Anthony and Ashton
- Traveling Highway 20, exit at Ashton, ID
- Head east towards Marysville
- Continue on Highway 47 until you see signs for Cave Falls.
- Travel Cave Falls Road until you come to the Cave Falls parking lot and trailhead